Saturday, March 23, 2013

Like a melody

I can't imagine living a life without music, especially without exploring and discovering new things almost every day. There were times when I felt like I was bored with everything, and that there wasn't anything out there that could make me inspired again. Then I'd stumble upon an awesome song which would only serve to start a journey down the magical rabbit hole of finding about that band or genre I've never heard before and which always left me wondering what else is out there.

Curiosity only spawns more curiosity, and I hope I never quit this addiction because the desire for exploration and discovery is one of the simplest and purest joys of life. Discovering new music also brings something extra to the table, because music can be highly emotional, inspiring and thought provoking so actually listening to a song that you connect with is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the mental effects it provokes.

Searching for new music is also a very intimate and personal act. Many are satisfied with just listening what's on the radio, TV, or what other people recommend, but there's something special to just trying things for yourself, alone, just you and your desire to be impressed. In that same aspect, but at the opposite side of the spectrum, it's always nice sharing the stuff you discovered with people close to you, letting them know of a new part of you, because music can be an interesting indicator of one's personality.

Songs are a complex part art, as they combine poetry and music, both of which can trigger emotional responses on their own, but when they come together, they contribute to something that is bigger than the sum of its parts. The connection formed between lyrics and melody when you hear a song you really like for the first time is embedded in your mind forever. I can't imagine reading through the lyrics of a song I know without hearing the music in my head or hearing the instrumental part and not immediately thinking of the words that usually go along with it.

Music inspires and depresses, motivates and destroys the spirit, makes smiles appear out of nowhere and helps the tears come out when they won't on their own. It can help you go through dark times or it can pull you back into them when you least expect it. It can just be something playing in the background when you're doing the dishes or it can draw you in completely and have you ignore everything just so you can be more immersed in it. It can make you dance all night or it can make you curl up into the fetal position while you're laying in bed all day.

Few things in life have such varying and opposing effects over us. There's probably no thought or emotion that hasn't been triggered in someone, somewhere, at some point in time, by a particular piece of music, or perhaps art in general. I wonder what that next cool song I'll find will make me think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment